Diet Delites

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sufferin' Succotash

I just finished breakfast -- scrambled Egg Beaters with salsa, turkey sausage and grated romano cheese. Total calories -- 175. Yes, I do breakfast very well each and every day. I don't crave anything for breakfast, so eggs, yogurt, even sliced cukes and tomatoes can be satisfying.

I've gone to eating vegetables for lunch. I keeps bags of frozen broccoli, spinach, green beans, brussel sprouts, corn, peas, lima beans, turnips and cauliflower in the freezer. Yesterday, I fixed one of my favorites -- succotash -- a mixture of corn and baby lima beans. Add a little olive oil, dill weed and a sprinkle of grated romano cheese (yes, I use this on almost anything) and yum, yum.

The difference between yesterday and other days that I've fixed this same dish is that I looked at the nutrition facts on the back of the package. I would fill a 2-cup Corningware dish with half corn and half lime beans, zap it for 5 minutes, add the remaining ingredients and dig in. Thinking I wasn't eating much more than about 150 calories, I wasn't concerned with measuring. To my surprise, I discovered that 1/2 cup of lima beans has 110 calories and 2/3 cup of corn has 100. See where I'm going? Instead of the 150 or so caories I thought I'd been getting away with, I actually piled up 346 calories and that doesn't count the olive oil and grated romano! Teach me.

Needless to say, yesterday I measured everything and learned a valuable lesson. No matter how much you THINK you know, it doesn't hurt to double check.

Dinner was almost a success yesterday -- 6 oz. of extra lean roasted pork loin and 2 cups of green beans with 1 tsp. of olive oil and sea salt. Unfortunately, I topped it off with who knows how much Breyer's Fat-Free Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream with Hershey's syrup. But I did take my 2-mile walk yesterday AM.

There is a story behind this. I was craving ice cream -- one of the few things I do crave. I drove over to McDonald's to get one of their dollar sundaes. The line was too long, so I went across the street to Baskin-Robbins. No place to park, so I popped into Albertsons where they only sell ice cream in bulk. Patience is not one of my virtues.

Have a great day,
Candee Lynn Wilson

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
hit tracker