Diet Delites

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Pig Out On Summer's Harvest

You heard me. Pig out!!! Summer is in full swing and the local farmer's markets are brimming over with fresh picked fruits and vegetables. I have waited all year for this. Vine-ripened tomatoes, sweet corn, peaches, fresh lettuce, green beans, all conspire to turn me into a vegetarian, at least for the summer. Now is when I stop counting calories, mostly because you can easily indulge yourself in the jewels of summer and never have to worry about over-eating.

How about the following for lunch: a fresh berry smoothie (fresh berries of your choice, a few ice cubes, a cup of skim milk; frappe in blender; pour in glass and enjoy) and a plate of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers sprinkled with a little coarse sea salt; and a great big slice of cantelope. I'm in seventh heaven with a meal like this.

For dinner bring on the sweet corn. I put one ear in the husk into the microwave for 4 minutes and voila, it's done with no mess whatsoever. Choose the really sweet (sometimes called supersweet) variety. Butter, salt, or anything else would only destroy the delightful flavor of this summertime treat. Complement the sweet corn with fresh green beans boiled until tender but not soggy; top with 1 tbsp. of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt or garlic salt. Round off the meal with a big slice of juicy, sweet watermelon or a gigantic dish of fruit salad made from melons, berries, cherries, peaches, with a low-fat vanilla yogurt topping.

Whatever your favorite fresh summertime delites, feel free to indulge. Eat as much as you want. I guarantee you will be healthier, happier and slimmer after six weeks of this regimen.

Chow for now.

2 Comments:

  • Life is such sweet sorrow! I wish I could taste something delicious, even If I gained a few pounds.

    By Blogger Ron Southern, at 9:58 AM  

  • IF I would clean my study, that's how dramatic the Before and After photos would be! I can't imagine having the energy though. In the old days... Well,no matter. In the old days I wouldn't have been sick or tired.

    By Blogger Ron Southern, at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
hit tracker