Diet Delites

Monday, May 22, 2006

The Urge To Purge

No, not my last meal but all the clutter, dust collectors and unused items around my house. An electric waffel iron that I eschew in favor of Eggo Apple-Cinnamon Toaster Waffles; dozens of unused wire coat hangers from clothes that have long since gone to Goodwill; dozens more trinkets brought back from world travels; a dumpster's worth of magazines, clipped articles, scratch paper, photographs of who knows what; all of this and much, much more that has rendered my home claustrophobic must be purged.

I don't know how the desire to collect and save all began. Certainly it is something deep in ones psyche, and I'm sure volumes have been written about it. Lately, I have honed in on conversations regardng the simple life. I have a friend who downsized from a 4000 sq. ft. home to a 700 sq. ft. apartment and couldn't be happier now that she can travel unfettered, atttend lectures and take interesting classes at the local community college. I am envious, and even though I still work part-time, I'm sure I could find time to have more fun if I weren't tied to the constant feeling of being overwhelmed by so much "stuff."

On July 8-9, we are having a community garage sale. This, I decided, would be the perfect time for me to get rid of all the excess I have accumulated in 25 years of living in the same place. I began last Monday and so far I have filled 7 leaf bags full of garbage, all things that cannot be recycled. The above picture is the "before" of my office. Pretty bad, huh? When I finish uncluttering my office, I will post the "after" picture. Stay tuned. For anyone in a similar situation, I suggest you read a concisely written ebook, Clutter-Free Forever, as a primer for how to begin the process.

So what does this have to do with dieting? Read the next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
hit tracker